Friday, June 25, 2010

How do you prepare?



Well, the cast and crew of Rites of Battle will be chugging down to the Bloomington Game Preserve early tomorrow morning for a day of tournament action, so expect some Battle Reports and afterthoughts to come!

Yet, this has me wondering on how to prepare for the event.

The truth of the matter is that I have had only five games with my Tau army, and lack enough experience points to really say that I'm sure as to how I will approach each table and opponent. Next, have I done enough good deeds for the Dice Gods to strangle the karmic cycle to allow me to hit with Twin-Lined BS 5 suits? In addition, of my entire army, only two Tau'r Rangers suits are painted, and painting can potentially be 40 of the possible 100 points to determine the victor. The rest of my army contains basic painting distinctions for special wargear, as well as knowing which squad of Kroot is which.

My 1850 list is as follows:

1 Commander Shas'el @ 92 Pts
Hard-wired Target Lock; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit @ 186 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit @ 186 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

3 Crisis Battlesuit @ 186 Pts
Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multi-Tracker

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 112 Pts
Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle (x10)
7 Kroot Hounds @ [42] Pts

10 Kroot Carnivore Squad @ 112 Pts
Add Kroot Hounds; Kroot Rifle (x10)
7 Kroot Hounds @ [42] Pts

6 Fire Warrior @ 60 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x6)

8 Pathfinder @ 216 Pts
Markerlight (x8); Pulse Carbine (x8)
1 Devilfish @ [120] Pts
Burst Cannon; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Marker Beacon; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array

2 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 150 Pts
Fusion Blaster (x2); Gun Drones (x2); Disruption Pod (x1); Target Lock (x1); Targeting Array (x2)
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

2 Piranha Light Skimmer @ 150 Pts
Fusion Blaster (x2); Gun Drones (x2); Disruption Pod (x1); Target Lock (x1); Targeting Array (x2)
2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
Twin Linked Pulse Carbines

1 Hammerhead Gunship @ 175 Pts
Railgun; Smart Missile System; Disruption Pod; Landing Gear; Multi-Tracker; Targeting Array

1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 200 Pts
Team Leader; Twin linked Railgun; Broadside Battlesuit; Smart Missile System; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Target Lock; Shield Drone; Advanced Stabilisation System
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ [80] Pts
Twin linked Railgun; Smart Missile System; Advanced Stabilisation System
2 Shield Drone @ [30] Pts
Shield Generator


The lack of a second Hammerhead might be bad for one of my Suit teams, but either they find some LoS terrain to hind behind, or they just man up and get cover from being behind the Kroot. I know my basic battle plan, but it's going to be an interesting test of generalship on my behalf as to whether or not I do well with the Empire. Tau win or lose depending on you, a farcry from my very fun Khorne list.

So I figure I'll end it here with my preliminary thoughts, and with something that will be playing in my head all day tomorrow.

How do you prepare for tournament play?

See you Space Cowboy,
Ishamael

1 comment:

  1. My prep for a tourney involves 2 things:

    1. Feverishly painting the entire force to a reasonable standard (not possible in your case this time).

    2. Getting in as many games as I can. I actually take off the the Friday before tournaments and go to my friends house, where we bang out 3 or 4 games over the course of the day. We focus on playing quickly and making decisions during our opponent's turn. If you can't do this (and most people probably can't)...try using the Combat Patrol rules. You can play 2 or 3 games in the same time that it normally takes to play 1 game at 1850. You can get a lot of good practice with a new army this way.

    Good luck at the tournament. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make it down there.

    ReplyDelete