Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Fully Loaded Hobby Table.

Well it has been some time since I was able to appropriately give 40k the time I'd like to give it. With Grad school starting up, starting a business, and general other things to do... I haven't had any real time for it... well that all changes soon I hope. SO I suppose there are a few things I need to update on.

I currently have a few armies that I am trying to maintain, a little here and there I guess. I still have my beloved Templar army, which I am now returning to. I plan to get as much done in the coming weeks as I can. I have told myself I would do at least a model a day until I have my usual list done. I currently have 20 fully painted and based marines, and 5 neophytes... given that I generally run 2 blobs and a rhino squad... I have some work ahead of me... primarily neophytes.

Not all is lost, I did manage to finish my latest additions to the Army. Godfrey the Emperor's Champion was updated, and is now a custom sculpt using the new Resin model... better keep him out of the sun though :P I also finished painting a Thunder Hammer Storm Shield Terminator Model from Scibor Monster Minis I picked up at GenCon.

And speaking of GenCon, I found a deal I couldn't pass up on. I snagged a Tyranid army there on the cheap. Managing to grab 6 carnifexes, 90 hormigaunts, a trygon, 3 resin Hive Guard, a resin tyrant and 2 tyrant guard, 9 Warriors, and the codex all for $450... I couldn't pass it up. I plan to run them as such.

Recently people have declared the codex to be the worst of 5th edition. I will agree with that statement without any real question. I do feel like it received one to many nerf bats to the face, and I really hope GW will give it some new models soon seeing how they have released a whole new model line for other armies, but have yet to produce a real wave of nids in a while is a little disturbing.

Where my opinion shifts from the common is that people believe the nids only have 1 good build... Tervispam as I call it. It's everywhere in rearguards to nids... Well When I picked up my Templar (after my brother officially made them mine) it was under the idea that the popular belief was they didn't work. So I challenged myself to make them work... and I feel I have. Now the Nids are my new project. I am running a list that is all Hormigaunts and Carnifexes because I love the units, I love their models, and darned it all I'm gonna try to make em work. I have played a few games so far, and I'd have to say I've had a fair bit of success. I think I have an element of surprise, as not many people are used to seeing it. I'll try to keep you posted on their results.

I have two other little armies I'm sitting on currently. One of Which is my Crimson Fist army. I am still looking to sell these as my Marine army of choice is hands down the Black Templar. I did have a though of converting it into a Sternguard Drop pod army sometime in the future, but that is a ways down the pipe. My other is a Grey Knight terminator Army. I love the models, and enjoyed customizing my own Dreadknight. A friend expressed interest in the models and it would be his first army. I'll keep a few as I'm proud of them, and my have a use for them... but I am probably going to sell this army to him so he has a cheap way to get into the hobby. Another player is always a good thing in the 40k community.

And with the absence of the Daemonhunters... comes a thought from left field. Corvus and I have been discussing the idea of building daemons... as a nice side project. A while back I bought a box of Bloodletters to model some fun conversions, but never got to it. Now it seems I may have a use for them again. I love Khorne Daemons, and used to have a fairly sizable army of them. If I can find my old Skarbrand, I'd love to get him back.. loved that model. So while I collect skulls for yon Skull Throne, Corvus is looking into a duel army of Tzeench and Slaanesh. I would pick up Nurgle daemons to round us out... but I have never been fond of their rules, or their models. So Gramps may have to sit out for this particular round.

But after my look into Forgeworld (yes, still drooling over the Khorne Daemonprince) I have one thing that bothers me. I love... and I mean LOVE the Khorne Bezerker upgrade. I want to use them so very badly, but I don't want to run Khorne Bezerkers as I have a marine army that likes to insert chain weapons into the opposing side's face. Corvus and Warmaster Havoc have given my a few suggestions on how to use them... but I'm not sure if I really could. So I may just have to sniffle and not buy them. For now anyways ^.^

I haven't started this army yet though, so for now it's not high on my importance list. I have a simple scheme on my Tyranids that should allow me to move through that army relatively fast, while still being a pretty decent looking lot :p, and if I can keep up the pace I should be able to get my templar back up and running soon.

Oh last thing, I did manage to pick up a box of Space Hulk recently. But since I do not play Blood Angels, the obvious ting to do it convert the models (oh how gorgeous) to Templar. i can also paint my Levi Stealers in my Tyranid scheme... win win huh. And speaking of Space Hulk, I may have our own Corvus write a guest article on a new game variant we have created.

So there you have it. I'm not sure when I went from having Templar to everything else, but I have my hands full of 40k goodness once again, and I'll be trying to keep up on them all. That is in between bouts of Space Marine.

^.^ Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment